- Click the Windows button > open the Settings app.
- In Settings, open Personalisation.
- In Personalisation, open Colours in the left panel.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page. Select between Light and Dark.
Many native Windows 10 apps and apps from the Microsoft Store will now appear dark. However, as of publishing, the native File Explorer remains Light.
Why some apps will not change to a dark mode
Not all apps will change appearance despite dark mode being switched on. There are two main reasons for this:
- The app developer has not enabled a dark mode; or,
- The app has a specific dark mode setting that needs to be switched on within the app’s settings, e.g. Microsoft Office.