How to secure your iPhone in case it gets lost or stolen
Changing a few simple settings can help better secure your iPhone data and make it easier to recover your lost or stolen iPhone.
1. Ensure you have a passcode
It should go without saying but your iPhone must have a passcode. Otherwise your apps & data are left wide open for anyone who accesses your phone.
Preferably use a passcode with 9+ characters. And use a passcode with a mix of numbers, letters and miscellaneous characters.
- Open Settings
- Tap Face ID (or Touch ID) & Passcode. Tap Turn Passcode On.
- Enter a six-digit passcode. Or tap Passcode Options to switch to a four-digit numeric code, a custom numeric code, or a custom alphanumeric code (preferred).
- Enter passcode again to confirm.
- You will now be required to enter your passcode every time you unlock your iPhone.
- You may also use Face ID or Touch ID (depending on your iPhone model) for faster, secure access to your phone.
2. Send last location
Sending the last known location can help you find your iPhone before its battery runs out. Of course, it will only work if the phone is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi or mobile network.
- Open Settings.
- Tap your Name/Apple ID settings at the top of the screen > iCloud > Find My iPhone.
- Tap the Send Last Location toggle. Your iPhone will now send its location to your Find My iPhone app in iCloud when its battery is about to reach 0%.
Note: the last known location will only be displayed for 24 hours.
Find My iPhone is a service turned on by default on all recent iPhone models. These instructions will allow you to confirm Find My iPhone is enabled.
3. Disable Control Centre on the lock screen
If you disable the Control Centre on the lock screen, the Wi-Fi and mobile network connections cannot be turned off. Be aware, a thief may still turn off the phone or remove the SIM card. While it’s not possible to remove an eSIM, eSIM usage is rare in Australia.
- Open Settings.
- Open Face ID (or Touch ID) & Passcode (enter your passcode) > scroll down to ALLOW ACCESS WHEN LOCKED.
- Tap the toggle next to Control Centre. It will no longer be accessible unless your iPhone is unlocked.
Optional: Turn off any other features you don’t need or use on the Lock Screen.